Making curtains is pretty simple. You need material, pins, measuring tape, a needle and thread. We made a basic pair of curtains to hang at the upstairs window. The material we chose was blue checked, although T11 wanted a red check and I would have preferred a brown check. Mummy thought the blue material would be the best material as we already had so much brown (paint) inside the house.
L10 helped make the curtains, in fact we made one each. This is what we did:
1. Measure your windows. We used a measuring tape and measured the height and width of the upstairs window.
2. We added a few inches onto each measurement to allow for drop, seams, hems and also the tab at the top. We used these measurements to cut two pieces of material. Each piece would make one curtain.
3. We double folded each side seam and pinned it in place.
4. Then we loosely tacked each seam in place, to hold it secure whilst we did the running stitches.
5. The running stitch needs to be small and even but not too tight.
6. Once we got the seam done, we undid the tacking.
7. The top tab was made by double folding the top over enough for the intended pole to go through. This was pinned, tacked and sewn
8. Lastly mummy taught us a hemming stitch. Neither L10 or I liked this and found it difficult to do. Hopefully it will get easier with practice.