Making a Tea Towel

To make a tea towel, I cut up an old white linen dress of mine and L10.  It was plain white, without a pattern.  I hemmed the edges, just like I did when we made the curtains.  This time, though, all four edges were hemmed.  I then decorated it using the thread I had used for the dish cloths.  It was a simple decoration, using only a straight stitch, but took ages because the material was hard to push the needle and thick orange thread through.  It was worth the effort:

DSC_1030

Advertisements

Making Home Made Butter

Making home made butter took a lot longer than I anticipated.  Here is how we made it:

  1. Clean a jar thoroughly
  2. Put a small marble in the jar
  3. Pour some cream into the jar
  4. Start shaking the jar:DSC_0938
  5. Keep shaking until the cream first starts to thicken:DSC_0940And then starts to separate:DSC_0944

6. Meanwhile someone else needs to grind some sea salt in a pestle and mortar to flavour the resulting butter

7. When the butter is a lump in the jar and is covered with buttermilk, drain it.  We used our cheese cloth, making sure to get as much liquid out as possible:DSC_0945

8. Mix some salt into the butter, but not too much

Whilst I’m not sure I would want to spend this much time making our butter, it was much, much tastier than the shop bought!

Making a pair of Curtains

Making curtains is pretty simple.  You need  material, pins, measuring tape, a needle and thread.  We made a basic pair of curtains to hang at the upstairs window.  The material we chose was blue checked, although T11 wanted a red check and I would have preferred a brown check.  Mummy thought the blue material would be the best material as we already had so much brown (paint) inside the house.

L10 helped make the curtains, in fact we made one each.  This is what we did:

1. Measure  your windows.  We used a measuring tape and measured the height and width of the upstairs window.

2. We added a few inches onto each measurement to allow for drop,  seams, hems and also the tab at the top.  We used these measurements to cut two pieces of material.   Each piece would make one curtain.

3.  We double folded each side seam and pinned it in place.

Pinned seam

Pinned seam

4.  Then we loosely tacked each seam in place, to hold it secure whilst we did the running stitches.

Tacking

Tacking

5.  The running stitch needs to be small and even but not too tight.

6.   Once we got the seam done, we undid the tacking.

7.  The top tab was made by double folding the top over enough for the intended pole to go through.  This was pinned, tacked and sewn

8.  Lastly mummy taught us a hemming stitch.  Neither L10 or I liked this and found it difficult to do.  Hopefully it will get easier with practice.

The reverse and front side of our pair of curtains

The reverse and front side of our pair of curtains

Knitting a Dish Cloth

I`ve chosen to make a dish cloth this week.  I already know how to knit and mummy had bought me some 100% cotton to knit with a while ago.  Although none of us remember Laura or her family knitting a dish cloth, we thought it would make a lovely colourful addition to our Little House (it ‘s orange!).  It is made of real cotton wool and will hang from a hook in the house.  I put 32 stitches on the needle and using knit stitch, made a square dish cloth:

Almost finished dish cloth

Almost finished dish cloth

This dish cloth will be used by L10 (Mrs Ingalls) and me (Mary Ingalls) to clean the dishes, but first we will use it to cover our  sour dough starter for making a loaf of sour dough without dried yeast.  It is perfect for this because it is loosely knitted:

The finished product, on top of the sour dough starter

The finished product, on top of the sour dough starter

Clearing & Painting the Little House

Our Little House

Our Little House

Acting as Mary Ingalls means I have  to do a lot of cleaning.  First I  helped  take the unwanted stuff  out of the little house; next I took all the carpets to the trailer for the skip (T11 had to unscrew the little house ladder so we could  get  the carpet up!) and afterwards we all did some dusting and  sweeping.  Here is the house empty and clean, ready to be painted:

Already it looks much better!

Already it looks much better!

I also helped whitewash the inside and it was hard work. But it was worth it because it`ll be great to  play  in and I’m hoping it will help teach me to keep  house.  Whilst  I white washed the inside, T11 painted the outside brown and A4 painted her planter the same brown, with a little help from mummy.  In fact, we all  got help from Mummy!!

Here are L10 and I painting away

Here are L10 and I painting away

We needed to make the bedroom  comfortable, which we did  by making a mattress . We used a ripped sheet and some sofa stuffing mummy had kept from an old sofa, although in the  1800`s they used straw.  We didn’t use straw because we were afraid we would get rats.  We will post a photo of our mattress once the house is finished.  We got rather  messy painting the little house but nevertheless had a lot of fun.

We didn’t quite finish the house the week.  We still have to treat the floor, the ladder and the upstairs framework before it is finished enough to start filling up.  We will post a photo of the house so far on Friday, hopefully you will all see the difference!